Thursday, April 10, 2008

Frighteningly Fun



Our mouths were filled with laughter,
our tongues with songs of joy.
Then it was said among the nations,
"The LORD has done great things for them."
The LORD has done great things for us,
and we are filled with joy.

- Psalm 126:2-3

Why do people like to ride rollercoasters? Why do people like to put their life in danger rock climbing, parachuting or doing various other extreme sports? For many people it's because fear is stimulating and fun. The kid who screams the whole way on a rollercoaster often says as soon as they get off, "wow that was fun, can we do it again?!". That's a bit how I feel right now in the middle of my first week teaching. It's been quite a ride, and I've definitely been frightened at various points feeling like I'm hanging out over the edge and about to take a drop, but at the end of the day I say, "Wow that was pretty fun!".

My very first day teaching held one big surprise in particular. In the evening I teach a beginner's English class from 6:30-8pm. The class originally had three members, but one just left to go study in America. So, the students were just as surprised as me when not one, not two, but three people came to observe the class! Two were high school boys (twin brothers) and one was a lady who lives in the area of the school who had received a brochure from the recent advertising LLI (Lutheran Language Institute) did.

So, now I was not only nervous to make a good first day impression, but a good first impression for the whole language school to these new observers that I had no idea what level English they were at or anything! But, God was with me and the class went really well! We had a lot of fun together and at the end of the class after I had cleaned up and turned the lights off the new woman who had been talking in the hallway with the two boys said to me, "I really had a great time tonight and I would like to join the class, and so would the boys."


Wow! I was so happy and excited to hear that. It's really exciting also because of the two women who were first in the class one is a church member who often gets to witness to the other students. Since it is a longer class, in the middle there is a short break and an optional five minute chapel message. So, she is often able to help explain what the message was about in Japanese to the other students. The new woman who came that night said she used to be a Christian and sounded like she may be interested in getting more involved in church again. The two twin boys are Christian also, the sons of a JELC pastor! So, please pray that this class will feel comfortable working and learning English together, and that opportunities for them to share their faith with each other would arise.

It's been quite an interesting ride so far, and I'm so glad to have God giving me the strength each day to get through.

No comments: